It is Wedding Expo Season! If you’re planning a wedding, attending the local wedding shows can prove to be very helpful, especially if one of your needs is choosing a baker to create your wedding cake. Here are a few tips to consider before you go:
- Plan well in advance. Keep in mind that a good cake artist can be booking up to a year ahead of time especially during peak wedding season – June through October here in the Keene, New Hampshire region.
- Your wedding cake needs to taste as good as it looks. It will take center stage at the reception, appear in many photographs, and it will be your guests’ dessert! At the expo, take some time to get to know the wedding cake designer. Is he/she willing to pull from your ideas and inspiration and create a custom wedding cake that is beautiful and delicious?
- Taste some Cake! Most wedding professionals who exhibit will have samples for you to try. Eat them! This will give you a good idea of how well your cake designer can bake. Think of it as a rehearsal or a test drive. Can the wedding cake professional create a large volume of cake samples, deliver them safely to the event, and ensure that they’re carefully set-up and exude that mouth-watering appearance?
- Ask about Alternatives. If you’re on a budget, or if you prefer a wider variety of flavors, ask about cupcakes. Cupcakes, which can complement a smaller wedding cake, are self-serve and may eliminate any fees your caterer might charge to slice and serve a wedding cake.
- Fondant or No Fondant? Fondant covering will give your wedding cake a perfect appearance. It is also a wonderful medium on which to decorate and create. Some, however, don’t like the taste and/or the mouth feel of fondant. Ask the wedding professional what brand of fondant they use, or, preferably, if they make their own. Homemade fondant tastes better than fondant purchased from a supplier, and it can be flavored to compliment the cake. Beneath the fondant, there should be plenty of delicious buttercream and filling in case your guests choose to eat only the wedding cake and not the fondant covering.
MasterPieces Cake Art will be Exhibiting at the Keene, NH Bridal Show on Sunday, March 12 at Keene State College. Come visit us between 12PM-3PM!